Senior / Principal Flood Modeller
At Arcadis, we never lose sight of what’s most important. Because we look beyond our projects and programmes and you’ll see it’s about human stories. From remaking public spaces that bring people together, to making cities easier to navigate, we’re focused on making an impact where it matters most – and improving quality of life.
It’s a shared goal amongst 27,000 Arcadians. And one we can only achieve by working together and applying our skills and expertise across design, consultancy, engineering, project and management services. It’s how we’ll find solutions to our clients’ most complex challenges. And how we’ll deliver exceptional results, today and tomorrow.
Our Flood Risk and Hydrology team is looking for a Senior or Principal River Modeller to join our team. We’ll make sure you get the experience and personalised learning support you need to take your career as far as you want it to go.
Arcadis are involved in some of the UK’s most complex and diverse projects that are technically demanding and offer considerable potential for learning and development. We lead on the delivery of a variety of schemes and are working closely with the regulators e.g. the Environment Agency, Natural Resources Wales, as well as the UK’s key infrastructure providers (Network Rail, Highways England), Local Government and private developers/investors.
In addition to leading the development of flood models for Natural Resources Wales, Canal and River Trust and other important clients, you will be required to undertake Project Management duties, liaising closely with the client and increasing Arcadis projects by maximising trade-up situations.
Collaborating, learning, thinking proactively and creatively forms the ethos of the team and a fundamental part of your role. In addition, your day to day activities will include:
* Coordinating and managing modelling studies and flood risk projects
* Produce and lead flood risk assessments
* Supporting, developing and line managing junior team members
* Resolving technical modelling issues on projects and advancing our technical expertise
* Carrying out technical reviews of hydraulic models
* Preparation of project proposals / bids / fee estimates
* Managing components of projects, taking responsibility for personal time and resource management, and coordinating team members, managing subcontractors, quality assurance and client feedback and ensuring effective communication of any changes/modifications
* Working in collaboration with other design disciplines to ensure the integrity of the overall project
* Ensuring compliance in the components of the project for which you have responsibility, including drawings, reports, specifications, and studies
* Building relationships with clients
* Managing commercial aspects of projects (contract, invoicing, debt management, client management etc.)
* Liaising with the Project Director or Manager and the client
* Providing input to project teams, leading by example to achieve sector goals and championing quality and innovation.
* Assisting and participating in developing yourself and other team members to their full potential
* As an experienced professional you will have received chartership with an appropriate body (CIWEM, ICE)
* Fluvial flood modelling experience using industry-standard software such as ISIS / TUFLOW / ESTRY / FLOOD MODELLER PRO
* Ability to manage commercial aspects of projects
* Ability to lead and carryout Flood Risk Assessments and an in-depth knowledge of UK flood risk policy (NPPF and TAN15)
* Desired: Experience in working on hydrological studies using UK hydrological methodologies (i.e. Flood Estimation Handbook)
* Desired: Experience of Surface Water Management Plans and SuDS
* Desired: Experience in water resource assessments, undertaking Environmental Impact Assessments and preparing Environmental Statements
At Arcadis, you’ll have the opportunity to build the career that’s right for you. Because each Arcadian has their own motivations, their own career goals. And, as a ‘people ﬁrst’ business, it’s why we’ll take the time to listen, to understand what you want from your time here, and provide the support you need to achieve your ambitions. Wherever you join us, you can look forward to a competitive reward package that includes an attractive starting salary, opportunities for career development and being part of a sociable community. We have a performance-related bonus scheme and an employee recognition scheme. Other beneﬁts include membership fees to join your relevant professional body, employer contribution pension scheme, ﬂexible working and a flexible holiday scheme.
We believe that by working together diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative ideas. Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the heart of how we improve quality of life and we work closely with our people across six ED&I Workstreams: Age, Disability, Faith, Gender, LGBT+ and Race. A diverse and skilled workforce is essential to our success