Who are we looking for?
We have a great opportunity for a Materials Engineer to join Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) team. This role will support a growing team of Materials Scientists and Engineers dedicated to the development of solutions for the first prototype fusion power plant in the UK, STEP. You will contribute to the development of materials data, materials selection and support for structural integrity assessment for in-vessel fusion components. (1) Materials database support, (2) Materials selection, (3) Materials testing, (4) Material failure analysis, (5) Irradiation and (6) Engineering support
The extreme environment anticipated within STEP pushes materials into uncharted territory that is impossible to represent and test for until the first reactor becomes operational.
If you have a degree in a relevant subject with subsequent experience in industry and/or academia as well as strong analytical skills, organisation good communication and influencing skills, then we would like to hear from you.
What will you be responsible for?
* Reporting to STEP programme, providing support to develop our detailed technical knowledge (coordinating materials suitability assessments, conducting literature reviews and developing technical reports and presentations) you will be expected to make materials selection/usage recommendations based on the data collected.
* Contributing to the functionality of the STEP materials database (evaluating materials data to determine suitability for design properties and the importing of materials data).
* Understanding the structural behaviour of materials and contribute to the development of design rules for materials and the qualification of materials for use within STEP.
* Participating in UKAEA`s research programmes on materials for fusion (organisation, management and undertaking of short and long-term projects)
* Working with external collaborators (including universities, public sector research establishments and industry in fusion and related fields) in order to complement UKAEAs internal capability, offer access to additional expert knowledge and to facilitate new project proposals.
* Proposing, securing funding and contribute to delivery of novel projects aligned with internal strategy (e.g. STEP, EUROfusion PPPT Enabling Research, EPSRC, PhD, Masters placements, graduates).
* Representing UKAEA at both domestic and international conferences, as well as at various meetings and functions as required.
Please note that occasional travel and working with radioactive materials will be required. All training will be provided