An exciting opportunity has emerged for an enthusiastic Food Scientist to join our R&D team. You will support work across a range of functions in the food technology team, however, your key duties will be focused on physical and chemical characterization of our ingredient and the products it is used in.
Reporting to, and supported by, the Head of Research, your duties as a Food Scientist will be varied; however, the key duties and responsibilities are as follows:
* Planning, design and execution of Research & Development projects. Applying scientific principles to build knowledge of our ingredients for use in finished food systems
* Using food science assays to characterise functionality of our ingredients at the molecular level.
* Developing and implementing new chemical and physical characterisation methods, processing techniques and product analyses.
* Applying learning to long-term scientific investigations and short-term problem solving to support commercially driven development of a new ingredients and/or products
* Understanding ingredient usage, shelf life evaluation, sensory evaluation and compiling specifications and nutritional information for developed products
* Creating and maintaining inventory records of all ingredients, chemicals and equipment used in the experimental work
* Engaging with industry experts on food science topics and working alongside Life Science, Clinical & Regulatory Affairs and Business Development teams.
* Analysing results and writing reports summarising findings and conclusions for senior management
* Presenting results and discussing findings as part of weekly meetings
Ideally, you will have completed a post-graduate degree in food science (or related subject); those with equivalent technical experience are also encouraged to apply. You will also have proven track record of working in a food testing laboratory environment, preferably in an industry research setting.
Candidates should have:
* Strong food science fundamentals, including >1 year of relevant industry experience and/or a post-graduate qualification in a food science related field.
* Proven laboratory experience, ideally gained within an industrial lab environment and a professional approach with excellent attention to detail.
* Ability to undertake multiple projects simultaneously to deliver against tight deadlines and to contribute both as part of a team and individually
* Understanding of food ingredients, food analytical tools, food microbiology and formulation of food products
* Excellent communication: both written and oral; evidence of technical writing and presentation skills heavily desirable
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures
* Passion about disruptive products and making a difference
* Strong work ethic – prepared to put in extra hours when then are really needed.
* Work on the prestigious Cambridge Science Park
* Competitive salary (£28,000 – 33,000) dependent on experience
* Pension scheme
* We look to grow our employees with the business and this position offers the right candidate potential for progression within the team.
This is a unique opportunity to join the team at a very exciting stage of the company's growth